The initiatives we have followed within our Environmental Policy have delivered considerable cost savings and have improved our energy efficiency significantly over the past ten years since moving into our new premises, and further improvements are targeted going forwards.
We are actively working to reduce our carbon footprint and our impact on the environment. At our Heathfield factory, since we started production in 2007 we have worked hard to reduce our carbon footprint achieving the following:-
KPI figures 2015/2016 (expressed per tonne)
- Reduction in electricity consumption by 38%
- Reduction in gas consumption of 53% due to an investment in more efficient boilers and machinery with the support of The Carbon Trust
- After many years reducing our water consumption, the introduction of a new process resulted in a small increase last year. However, this year, we’re aiming for a 26% reduction
- Reduction of waste in our processes is an important area that we are focusing on as a business. All of our food waste goes to Anaerobic digestion  to produce electricity but our goal is to reduce our food waste in 2016/17 by 47% compared to our previous financial year by year end.
- 100% of our non-food waste is now recycled.
- We are also working in partnership with our customers and suppliers towards reductions in packaging waste, through a reduction in volume, weight and through increased recyclability.